Saturday, October 31, 2009

Oct 31 - Afternoon

I went through two procedures this week. First on Thursday, I had outpatient surgery to put a chemotherapy port in my chest. That procecure went very well. So well, that they used the new port to administer my chemotherapy session on Friday. That also went very well. With the new port, my chemotherapy sessions only last one hour.

So far, I have no adverse side effects from yesterday's chemotherapy session. I feel pretty good today and just returned from a walk.

The only concern right now is my white blood cell count. A healthy person has a white blood cell count of 3-4 thousand in a sample. Because chemotherapy for Hodgkins Lymphoma reduces white blood cells, my current count is only 500. Today, I took medication that will boost my count to 1000. Because the cancer clinc was closed, Joy was glad to administer the boosster shot to me. Joy did a very good job and can give me shots anytime.

So, until my white blood cell count increases, I am more vulnerable to infections and will keep a low profile and take all the necessary precautions. I will be pretty much housebound.

I also had CT scans done yesterday, so I should no more next week on how well I am progressing. I also got a call from the Cleveland Clinic today saying that they may want to take out my trachea stint as early next week.

Once again, I thank you all for your wishes, prayers, and cards. I greatly appreciate it and have thanked God for your support.

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment